Our PTA Vision, Mission and Purpose
The overall purpose of PTA is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
- To Be A Powerful Voice For ALL CHILDREN,
- To Be A Relevant Resource For Families and Communities,
- To Be A Strong Advocate For The Education and Well-Being Of Every Child
- To Promote The Welfare Of Children and Youth In The Home, School, Community, and Place of Worship
- To Raise The Standard Of Home-Life
- To Secure Laws For The Care and Protection Of Children and Youth
- To Bring Into Closer Relation The Home and The School, That Parents and Teachers May Cooperate Intelligently In The Education Of Children and Youth
- To Develop, Between Educators and The General Public, Such United Efforts As Will Secure For All Children and Youth The Highest Advantages In Physical, Mental, Social and Spiritual Education.
The Duval County Council and its member PTAs are involved in many outstanding activities throughout the year. They include:
- Conducting Fall and Spring Leadership Training Workshops for PTA officers and Members.
- Sponsoring the Superintendent’s Leadership Academy for High School students, during which they learn advocacy techniques and leadership skills. The training culminates in a field experience day in Tallahassee.
- Coordinating volunteers for vision screening in all schools and providing eyeglasses for children whose parents can’t afford them. More than 2 million children have been served.
- Through local PTA unit donations, DCCPTA funds several scholarships for graduating high school seniors to continue their education at the college or post-secondary level.
- DCCPTA offers Grassroots Advocacy Training Sessions on Strategy, Building Coalitions, Meeting with a Legislator & Recruiting and Retaining Volunteers.
- Sponsoring the annual Reflections art contest, during which students from K-12 are encouraged to respond to a theme by creating works of art in the Visual Arts, Photography, Literature, Music Composition, and Dance Choreography.
- DCCPTA hosts General Meetings the 4th Tuesday of the Month (August – May) during which local unit officers and members can connect with the DCPS administration, receive training updates and obtain information about local agencies and programs that they can take back to their schools.
- And so much more!!
you would like information about starting a PTA at your school, please contact
Karen Nuland or Victor Melone at the email links above.