About Our Principal - Mrs. Katie Adkins
- Where are you from? (Ms.Valenti’s class)
I was born and raised in Jacksonville, which is very uncommon because it seems many people in Jacksonville are transplanted from somewhere else.
- Do you have any children? How old are they? (Mrs.Barr’s class)
I have 2 children: James is 5 and just started Kindergarten. Elizabeth is 4 and is in VPK
- Do you like being a principal? (Mrs.Williams Pre-K)
Yes, but some days I really miss being a teacher and having my own classroom of students. Little people are fun; big people can be difficult sometimes.
- What college did you attend? (Ms.Valenti’s class)
I graduated from the University of North Florida with my BA in Elementary Education and also my MA in Educational Leadership
- Do you like our new school uniforms? Why or why not? (Ms.Gonzalez’ class)
I love the new school uniforms! All the students look great when they wear them. It as if the students at Mathis are walking around with a sense of pride because they look good and feel good! Students are able to be the focus of education and what is truly is important, instead of what one another is wearing.
- “Oh the places we’ll go Mrs. Adkins!” But where is your favorite place to go? (Mrs. Robinson’s class)
I have several places that I love to go. To relax, I love to go to the beach. The crash of the waves is calming and my kids love to play in the water and build sandcastles. For travel, I love Savannah, Ga. My family lives there and we visit often. The city is filled with lots of history and there are many great things to do there. A favorite place that I have been twice and would love to go back to is Italy. It’s a place of great food, great shopping, and rich history and tradition. When I retire (a long time from now), I’d love to live there.
- What is your favorite movie? (Mrs.Haslem’s class)
The Princess Bride and Goonies (1980’s movies) and Pitch Perfect
- Do you like gold? (Ms.Gonzalez’ class-Jas’sher)
I do like gold. Gold jewelry, as well as white gold (looks like silver), is a favorite of mine.
- When is your birthday? (Mrs.Brass-Karran 4th/5th grade CSS)
My birthday is July 15th…I was a summer baby.
- What is your favorite animal? (Mrs.Brass-Karran 4th/5th grade CSS)
Dogs; they are loyal and trustworthy. Those traits have always meant a lot to me. When I was a kid, I used to tell my dog (Sam) all of my secrets because who was he going to tell? (O: