The John M. McKay Scholarships for Students with Disabilities Program (McKay Scholarship) is a voucher program offered to students in grades K – 12 who have either an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 Accommodation Plan (504 Plan) that has been written to be valid for a period of greater than 6 months, and
- Have been enrolled and reported for funding in a Florida public school for the school year prior to applying the scholarship; or
- Have been a pre-kindergarten student who was enrolled and reported for funding in a Florida public school during the school year prior to applying for the scholarship; or
- Have received specialized instructional services under the Voluntary Prekindergarten Education Program from an approved provider during the previous school year; or
- Have attended the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind during the preceding school year’s student membership surveys.
Students who are eligible to participate in the McKay Scholarship Program have three options available:
- Attendance at another public school within the district that has space and provides the services identified in the student’s IEP or 504 Plan. To exercise this option, complete the Magnet and/or Special Transfer option Application(s) available online at School Choice. The application window is January 1 – February 28, 2021. Beginning March 1, 2021, complete and submit the Public to Public Special Transfer Option Application (Public School Application);
- Attendance at an eligible public school in an adjacent district that has space and provides the services identified in the student’s IEP or 504 Plan. To exercise this option, contact the McKay Contact for that district (District Contact List); or
- Attendance at an eligible private school of the parent’s choice. To exercise this option, access the list of approved participating private schools on the Private School Directory site.
To be eligible for the McKay Scholarship, you must apply prior to withdrawing from public school and meet all eligibility criteria.
How to Apply
- Step 1: Go to www.floridaschoolchoice.org.
- Step 2: Click on “McKay Scholarship”.
- Step 3: Click on “Parents”.
- Step 4: Click on “Apply for McKay Scholarship”.
If your child will be attending a private school utilizing the McKay Scholarship, there are important deadlines for receiving 100% of the McKay Scholarship amount. Please note that the deadlines for filing a parental intent and private school enrollment are statutory deadlines; therefore, the district cannot make exceptions if these deadlines are missed. Click here for McKay Deadlines.
To Withdraw from the McKay Scholarship
If your child has been attending a private school through the McKay Scholarship Program and would like to return to Duval County Public Schools, you must complete and submit the Withdrawal Request Form. Click here to download the Withdrawal Request Form.
District McKay ContactTorri Clark-Amezcua904.348.7743Department of Education, Office of Independent Education and Parental Choice Information Hotline 1-800-447-1636Important LinksDepartment of Education, Office of Independent Education & Parental Choice