The John M. McKay Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
The John M. McKay Scholarships for Students with Disabilities Program (McKay Scholarship) is a voucher program offered to students in grades K – 12 who have either an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 Accommodation Plan that has been written to be valid for a period of greater than 6 months.
Students who are eligible to participate in the McKay Scholarship Program may exercise three options:
· They may exercise the private school option by using a voucher provided by the Florida Department of Education to enroll in a participating private school of the parent’s choice as per the list of approved participating private schools on the Florida School Choice Website.
· They may exercise the public school option by submitting a McKay Scholarship Program Public to Public Student Transfer Application to request an assignment to a public school in their district other than their district assigned school. (Public School Application)
· They may, through an Out-of-County Release, attend a public school in another Florida School District.In order to be eligible for the scholarship, you must apply and meet all eligibility criteria.
How to Apply
To Withdraw from the ScholarshipIf your child has been attending a private school through McKay Scholarship Program and would like to re-enter Duval County Public schools, you must complete the request in writing. This request can be faxed or e-mailed. (Withdrawal Request)_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________McKay Scholarship Program Important Deadlines*
- Step 1 Go to www.floridaschoolchoice.org.
- Step 2 Click on “McKay Scholarships.”
- Step 3 Click on “Parents.”
- Step 4 Click on “Apply for a McKay Scholarship.”
2016-2017 Payment Period Payment Due Parental Intent Deadline Private School Enrollment Deadline Attendance Verification Available Online Attendance Verification Deadline July 1-Sept 30 September 1 July 3 August 2 N/A N/A Oct 1-Dec 30 November 1 September 2 October 2 October 3 October 7 Jan 1-Feb 28 February 1 December 3 January 2 January 4 January 10 March 1-June 30 April 1 January 31 March 2 March 3 March 9*Private schools participating in the Florida Tax Credit Scholarship Program must meet the deadlines set by the Scholarship Funding Organizations to receive payment.Please note that the deadlines for filing a parental intent and private school enrollment are statutory deadlines; therefore, the department cannot make exceptions if these deadlines are missed.
Failure to complete attendance verification will result in a postponement of scholarship payments until the next scheduled payment period.
District McKay ContactKaren Campbell904-348-7865Department of Education, Office of Independent Education and Parental Choice Information Hotline 1-800-447-1636Important LinksDepartment of Education, Office of Independent Education & Parental Choice