• Eleventh Grade


    • Make a list of your abilities, social/cultural preferences and personal qualities. List things you may want to study or do after high school.
    • Explore career and college opportunities on www.bigfuture.collegeboard.org
    • Make a file to manage your postsecondary plans search, testing, and application information.
    • Register for PSAT at your school (cost – about $15).
    • Take the PSAT in October.
    • Participate in test prep for ACT/SAT.
    • If interested in going into the military make sure you talk to a recruiter and take the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude battery (ASVAB).
    • Contact your counselor about eligibility for ACT/SAT fee waivers (free and reduced lunch as well as several other criteria).
    •  Register for ACT and/or SAT for the spring (check current costs on website or in school counseling office) www.act.org, www.collegeboard.com   Make sure to use your school code so results come to your school!
    • Ask your school counselor about taking the SAT Subject Area Tests.
    • Review your PSAT score report with your parents (Dec/Jan).
    • Sign on to My College Quick Start after receiving your PSAT scores.
    • Check your Bright Futures eligibility online in March and July www.flvc.org .
    • Take the ACT and/or SAT (tests are on various Saturdays Sept-June).
    • Take the PERT for postsecondary readiness.
    • Apply for Dual Enrollment courses (if eligible).
    • Begin your search for financial aid sources: on the district website, in your school counseling office, on college and university websites, and on various scholarship websites.
    • Scan local newspapers to see which civic, cultural and service organizations in your area award financial aid to graduating seniors. Start a file.
    • Develop a list of 10-15 colleges or other postsecondary opportunities that attract you. Request view books and information about financial aid and academic programs that interest you.
    •  Visit colleges you might be interested in. If you are considering a service academy or ROTC scholarships, contact your counselor before leaving school for the summer. If you want a four-year ROTC scholarship, you should begin the application process the summer before your senior year.
    • Check your Bright Futures eligibility online in March and July.
    • Meet with your counselor to develop next year’s schedule, progress towards graduation requirements, and review postsecondary plans.
    • If you are an athlete planning to play sports in college, register with the NCAA Eligibility Center www.ncaaclearinghouse.net.
    • Turn community service hours forms in to your school counseling office so they can be entered in the system and sent to Bright Futures in the summer.
    • Check YOUR Bright Futures eligibility online in March and July www.flvc.org .
    • Create a resume of your accomplishments, activities and work experience since you started high school.
    • Download applications (or request paper copies) from colleges to which you will apply. Check application dates- large universities may have early dates or rolling admissions.
    • Put aside money for college or other post secondary plans.