Florida Board Adopts New
developed by WIDA
The World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) consortium created its English language proficiency (ELP) standards (2004, 2007, 2012) to address the need for English language learners to become fully proficient in both social and academic English.
The standards framework consists of five components. Some of these components are expressions of a particular philosophy while others are explicit representations of knowledge. The five components are:
1. Can Do Philosophy (Descriptors by grade cluster: PreK-K, 1-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12)
2. Guiding Principles of Language Development
3. Age-appropriate Academic Language in Sociocultural Contexts
4. Performance Definitions (Listening and Reading / Speaking and Writing)
5. Strands of Model Performance Indicators (WIDA 2012 Amplified Standards)WIDA Overview: A short powerpoint providing an overview of the use of WIDA ELD Standards to integrate language and content.
English Language Development (ELD) Standards are now available on CPALMS in course descriptions and under the standards tab.For more information please visit WIDA.us