Magnet/STO Applications for 2020 - 2021
January 2, 2020
Submitting Your Application
All magnet/STO applications received by Friday, February 28th are processed in either the magnet or STO lottery. The lottery is a computerized program that randomly selects students based on:
- The priority that has been assigned to each choice
- The number of available openings for each program and grade level.
The magnet lottery considers first choices first, followed by second choices. Results of the magnet lottery are emailed to applicants’ email address listed in FOCUS.
The special transfer option lottery only allows for first choices. The special transfer option lottery runs after the magnet lottery.
- If a student has made both magnet and special transfer option choices and received a seat at a magnet lottery then the student will not participate in the special transfer option lottyer.
- If a student has made both magent and special transfer option choices and is on the wait list for their magnet choices, then the student will participate in the STO lottery. Results of the choice lottery are emailed to the applicants' email address listed in FOCUS.
After You Apply
All applications received by the respected deadline are processed in the lottery. The lottery is a computerized program that randomly selects students based on:
- The priority that has been assigned to each choice.
- The number of available openings for each program and grade level. We have included the utilization of each school which has a direct impact on openings a school may have for new magnet/STO students.
The Waiting List
Students who are not accepted into any of their magnet requests or their choice option request are placed on a Waiting List(s).
Students who are accepted into one of their magnet or STO choices do not appear on a waiting list for any other choice.
Keep your notification letter in a safe place. It contains your Waiting List number, and if openings become available during the summer, they will be filled according to that number. Your first opportunity to be contacted from the Waiting List is during the summer. You will be notified by telephone, and you will have only 24 hours to accept or decline placement in the school offered. It is important that your correct phone number(s) are on file in the FOCUS system.
If your contact information changes, be sure your current school updates your address and phone number.
The last day students were contacted off a waiting list was August 24, 2018. In rare instances, students may be contacted in January 2019 for second semester admission.
How to Apply - Processing of Late Applications
The application period for submitting late applications will begin April 15, 2020 and close on May 15, 2020.
Late Applications do not recieve a calculated priority like on-time applications. They are processed based on date/time the application is submitted and only if schools have available seats.