Pre-Early College Program
The Pre-Early College program is a middle school Acceleration track that affords academically advanced students the opportunity to earn up to four high school credits and three college credits. This program is designed for mature, highly motivated students. The Pre-Early College path can lead to High School Early College programs or other acceleration options such as AICE, IB, AP and AP Capstone.
During the 7th grade year, students will take a reading course containing rigorous standards and texts. This curriculum will prepare students for taking the Post-secondary Educational Readiness Test for Reading.
During the 8th grade year, students will continue the reading course for the first semester. For the second semester, student take Student Life Skills 1103, a foundational college course provided by Florida State College at Jacksonville. Through these two courses, students will earn a total of 1 full high school credit as well as 3 hours of college credit. Pre-Early College students will also have the opportunity to earn up to 3 additional high school credits in the areas of math, science, foreign language, and other electives offered by the individual schools.Eligibility CriteriaStudents participating in Pre-Early College must enter at Grade 7. Students must have proficient FSA/Achieve scores, annual middle school 2.5 GPA or higher and teacher recommendation.Program Continuation Requirements
- Score a level 3 or Higher on the Grade 7 FSA Reading.
- Earn a “C” or better in the 7th Grade Pre-Early College Advanced Reading Course.
- Score 85 or higher on the Reading portion of the Post-Secondary Readiness Education Test (PERT).
- Participation in up to four high school courses.
- Attend an informational meeting hosted by a Middle School with a PEC Program.
- Obtain a Pre-Early College application from the designated PEC School Counselor.
- Submit a completed application by the due date.
- All applications will be reviewed and a notification will be issued once the review process has been completed.