The purpose of Health Education is to provide students with the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills necessary to make healthy choices with the overall goal of improving the quality of life, as well as describe the relationships between a healthy behavior, environment and personal health to prevent injuries and health problems.
The content should include, but not be limited to the following:
- Accessing Information (family health, following rules, friends trusted adults in school and community)
- Internal and External Influences (warning labels and community helpers)
- Interpersonal Communication (conflict resolution, verbal and non-verbal, reporting, active listening and refusal skills)
- Decision Making (positive/negative healthy options and decisions)
- Goal Setting (short and long term health targets, personal health and small groups)
- Self Management (personal health choices)
- Advocacy (positive promotion and modeling healthy choices)
Fifth-grade health education units will be taught primarily during the 4th nine weeks of school by the science teachers.