Westside Middle School Guidance Counseling Department
School Counselor’s Role
- Support student’s individual needs
- Provide small group sessions focused on academic, career, and socio-emotional areas of development
- Responsive services
- The Mission of the Westside Middle School Counseling Program is to provide support and skills for success in academic, career, and socio-emotional development.
The School Counseling Program will help to support an environment of security, warmth, and encouragement as WMS students work to reach their fullest educational potential in the areas of academic, career, and personal development. The School Counseling Program will also strive to teach WMS students skillsets to help successfully manage their lives as healthy, responsible, and productive citizens who respect themselves and others.
- is consistent with expected developmental stages of learning
- is based on school data and evaluated by the school counselor’s stated goals and related student competencies
- is managed and delivered by school counselors
- utilizes the many combined resources of the community
The WMS Counseling Program Belief Statements
- All students can learn and achieve academic growth when encouraged and supported in a respectful learning environment
- Nurturing all students' social and emotional well-being will encourage academic development and future success.
III. Partnerships with families, communities, and the school provides mutual responsibility for student achievement and personal well-being.
- The School Counselor’s role is to provide a data-driven, developmental counseling program to meet the needs of ALL students through a school counseling curriculum, individual student planning, responsive services, and system support.
- The School Counseling Program will promote the following: an understanding of and respect for self and others; problem-solving and decision-making; emotional-management skills; skills for learning; and the influence of positive academic habits on career readiness and success.