Overview of Programs
Learn more about AP Capstone, AICE, Early College, and IB by watching the informational presentation below. (The presentation is 24 minutes in length.)
After viewing the presentation, if you have questions, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page and you may also email question(s) to email@example.com. We are happy to answer your questions by email or arrange a time to speak with you virutally or by phone.
The 2021-2022 High School Acceleration Program application may be completed through the Focus Parent Portal Account beginning Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 8:00 AM and will close at 11:59 PM on Thursday, January 21, 2021.
Parents that do not have a Focus Parent Portal account may create an account by visiting Technology Services and then follow the directions for creating an account. Parents will use their email address and create their own password. Once an account has been created, parents will need to visit their student's middle school within 21 days and present ID for the middle school to approve their Focus Parent Portal account or provide their ID electronically and request approval.
Parents that have forgotten their password, have trouble creating a new Focus Parent Prortal account, or experience technical issues may contact the Help Desk at (904) 348-7628, (904) 348-5200, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once the application opens on Tuesday, December 1st at 8:00 AM, parents may access the application by logging into their Focus Parent Portal account. On the left-hand side select your Grade 8 child. Then select "High School Acceleration Programs Application."
Parent should read the application carefully. Review the pre-populated information and verify that their address is correct in Focus. If the address is incorrect, parents may correct the address through their child’s current middle school by providing two proofs of address in person or via email. Address changes cannot be made at the District office.
If your student is not currently enrolled in a Duval County Public School OR is without test scores and/or grades in the Duval County Public School system (Focus) must provide official copies of the student standardized test score reports from Grade 7 (or Grade 6 if unavailable), Final Grade 7 Report Card, and Grade 8 Report Card showing Quarter 1 and 2 grades at the time of application submission. Applications missing information will not be processed. If accepted, Non-DCPS students must provide an official transcript once final grades have posted for the school year.
On the application, parents may make up to two (2) choice selections, however, they may choose to make one (1) selection only. Parents should be sure that if a second selection is made, it is a selection that both the parent and their child will be happy with should they be offered a seat.
- Tuesday, December 1, 2020: HSAP application opens at 8:00 AM in the Focus Parent Portal
- Thursday, January 21, 2021: HSAP application closes at 11:59 PM
- Monday, February 15, 2021: Decision notifications will be sent to the email address associated with the Focus Parent Portal Account used to complete the application
- Friday, February 19, 2021: Parents who do not which for their child to participate in the program in which they have been accepted must cancel seat offered by 4:30 PM.
In order to be considered for an acceleration program students must meet all of the following criteria. Applicants must
- be proficient in Reading based on the Grade 6 FSA, Grade 7 PSAT, or Grade 7 Achieve 3000;
- be proficient in Math based on the Grade 6 FSA, Grade 7 PSAT, or Grade 7 iReady;
- be enrolled in or have already completed Algebra I; and
- earn a minimum of 70 points.
For each program, all eligible applicants will be scored based on the point system below, ranked from 100 points down to 70 points, and offered seats in that order until seats are filled.
- 0-36 points – Grade 7 Core Academic Final Grades (English, Math, Science, and Social Studies)
- A = 9 pts, B = 6 pts, C = 3 pts
- 0-30 points – Standardize Test Scores in both Reading and Math
- 0-34 points – Grade 8 Core Academic Grades (Quarter 1 & 2 English, Math, Science, and Social Studies)
- A = 4.25 pts, B = 3.25 pts, C = 2.25 pts
Late applications will be available through the Parent Focus Portal from 8:00 AM on Monday, April 19, 2021 through Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 4:30 PM. A decision notification will be sent to the email address associated with the parents Focus Parent Portal account on Wednesday, July 14, 2021. If a decision notification has not been received, parents should email email@example.com from the email address listed in Focus.
Thank you for considering a High School Acceleration Program!
We wish you and your child a successful educational journey.