Sponsor: Ms. Millican
This is not a track or cross-country team where speed and competition will be emphasized. Although, this is not a walking program and students must be able to maintain a minimum 14:00 minute pace per mile to continue.
In order to participate, students must:
- attend practice three times a week (two weekday afternoons and Saturday mornings) from November through March.
- provide a current and valid doctor's physical with sign off for physical activity.
- be committed to the Saturday long runs every week (running for 30 minutes at the beginning and building up to 2-3 hours by the end of the season).
- arrange transportation to and from practice.
- participate in several community races during the season with all MH teams to support each other and run together including a half-marathon at the end of the season.
- participate in the group runs and races (see here for a list)
- maintain a minimum 14 minute pace at all runs.
- raise money (at least $20) for MH and charities.
- have a positive, can-do, supportive attitude with yourself, your teammates and your coaches.
In exchange for completion of the program, you will receive:
- team shirt & hoodie
- sneakers for those in financial need (on free/reduced lunch)
- free food at group runs
- discounted race entries to community 5K/10Ks
- free race entry to the Half-Marathon
- opportunities to earn a MH college scholarship
*Quitting or lack of attendance does not entitle students to these awards, and any items given will need to be returned if a student drops out.
Marathon High is a privilege, and students’ participation is paid for by community sponsors, so we take the commitment seriously.
Founded in February 2011, Marathon High is a regional nonprofit program that challenges at-risk teens to train for a 13.1 mile half-marathon in order to develop positive futures. By training week after week for four months, this after-school program allows high school students to develop athletic skills, social skills, self-respect, self-esteem, courage, strength, confidence, healthy lifestyles and a positive direction.
Marathon High is a free program that serves teens of all backgrounds and abilities in grades 9-12. The program is also non-competitive — meaning speed does not matter — so we reach teens who have never considered themselves an athlete and are not currently involved in athletics. Marathon High helps students overcome difficulties and obstacles in their lives and allows them to realize that anything is possible if they work hard and are committed.
More than just running, Marathon High also teaches teens the value of teamwork and giving back to others. We support local charities and hold a fundraiser as part of the program to give to people in need. We believe that building a strong next generation starts with strengthening the way kids connect to each other and their community.
And it's working! To date, we have served more than 1,200 local high school students who have proudly crossed the finish and are realizing that is only the beginning of what they are going to accomplish in life.