Keeping Staff and Students Safe
Steps we take to ensure student and staff safety
Safety and Security Efforts and Resources
- Each school has a safety plan and emergency response team.
- All school classrooms are locked when occupied by students.
- School plans are reviewed with staff each semester.
- The District has a highly trained School Police Department, giving all schools direct access to school resource officers.
- The District utilizes various major security monitoring methods including camera surveillance and monitored controlled access systems.
- All schools and District offices have a District Emergency Communications Network radio with direct access to School Police and District leadership. School Police have direct access to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.
- All schools conduct regular evacuation drills (fire drills).
- All schools conduct regular emergency and lockdown (“code red” and “code yellow”) drills.
Student and Staff Social and Emotional Support
- All schools have support through district Crisis Intervention Teams (social workers, psychologists, and behavioral specialists).
- All schools have access to the Child Guidance Rapid Response Team.
- All schools have access to the 24/7 District Crisis Hotline for employees to report student mental/emotional health concerns.
- All students and parents have access to the Bullying Hotline via phone (904-390-2255) or text (390Call@Duvalschools.org).
- All schools have access to a school-based nurse.
- All employees have access to an Employee Assistance Program (904-296-9436).
- Other support resources are available through the United Way by calling 211.
- District emergency communications with parents and staff include:
- School Messenger (telephone and email)
- District and school websites
- Social Media (Facebook and Twitter)
- Parents can also call the district at 904-390-2000