Reconsideration of Reading Lists and Instructional Material
Request for reconsideration of materials in reading lists or for classroom instruction:
Request for reevaluation of reading lists and books used for classroom instruction may be requested using the reconsideration form for Media Services.
- Instructional materials/ novels are selected by the school district to implement, enrich, and support the educational program for the student.
- Materials must serve both the breadth of the curriculum and the needs and interests of individual students.
- The district is obligated to provide for a wide range of abilities and to respect the diversity of many differing points of view. Principles must be placed above personal opinion and reason above prejudice in the selection of materials of the highest quality and appropriateness.
- Book approvals are done at the school level.
- Parents may request, in writing, an alternative book/selection if they deem the material chosen for study is not appropriate for their own child.
As a parent, you can read about Achieve3000, find out how to get involved, and learn more about how you can make Achieve3000 a success for your child. Home Resources for Achieve 3000.
Want to help your student find articles on topics of interest? This Student Choice Video will walk you through the steps to find just the right text for you!
Just Take 20
Just Take 20 (JT20) is a Florida program designed just for families! JT20 shows parents how to support the their students in developing appropriate reading and writing skills in just 20 minutes a day by using the engaging activities designed for students in gardes K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12. To help your child become a highly skilled reader and writer, click here.
Just Read, Families!
Looking for guidance on making the most when reading with your child? Just Read, Families! provides guidance on developmentally appropriate activities for children from birth through grade 3. Resources include tips for getting started, activities for children, and reading tips for parents. Click here to visit the Just Read, Families! website.
Jacksonville Public Library
Students can search the Jacksonville Public Library's online databases for free access to newspapers, articles, ebooks and more. DCPS students can use their student ID numbers as library account numbers.