The award champions safety and recognizes secondary schools that provide safe environments for student-athletes. The award reinforces the importance of providing the best level of care to athletes.
In order to achieve this award, we had to exhibit the following:
- Create a positive athletic health care administrative system.
- Provide or coordinate preparticipation physical examinations.
- Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities.
- Plan for selection, fit function, and proper maintenance of athletic equipment.
- Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes.
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions.
- Provide or facilitate injury intervention.
- Create and rehearse a venue-specific emergency action plan.
- Provide or facilitate psychosocial consultation and nutritional counseling/education.
- Be sure athletes and parents are educated of the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities.