FRESH FRUIT & VEGETABLE PROGRAM (FFVP)
What is the Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program?
The United States Department of Agriculture’s Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) provides schools with funds to offer students fresh fruit and vegetable snacks during the school day. Duval County Public Schools proudly serve a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables through the FFVP at select eligible elementary schools throughout the school year.
What is the purpose of the program?
- Introduce students to fresh fruits and vegetables
- Create a healthier school environment by providing healthier food choices
- Expand the variety and overall acceptance of fruits and vegetables that children eat
- Positively influence children's life-long eating habits
When and where can fresh fruits and vegetables be offered?
Through this program, schools may offer fresh fruits and vegetables as a snack during the school day outside of breakfast and lunch. They can be served in classrooms, hallways or outside.
What can you do to help implement the FFVP?
Be a positive role model. While the program is targeted at students, it recognizes the important connection among students, teachers and school staff. Teachers serving fruits and vegetables can model healthy eating habits by participating with their students and including a nutrition education lesson.
How can you help make the program successful?
- Nutrition education is required, and teachers are encouraged to reinforce healthy eating with health education.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables can be brought into the classroom to complement a lesson.
- Your geography lesson can be reinforced by providing fresh fruits or vegetables from the region you are studying.
- Studying percentages in math? Use a piece of fruit to show quarters, half, thirds, etc. The best part is the lesson becomes edible!
- Have fun and be creative!
If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback about the program, please email Valerie Bius at email@example.com.
**Vegetables have been heat-treated and are not raw, so they are safe to eat.**
More resources can be found online here.
JANUARY 2021 MATERIALS
- January 6 - Jicama & Lime fact sheet
- January 7 - Pickling Cuke fact sheet
- January 12 - Blood Orange fact sheet
- January 13 - Tuscan Kale fact sheet
- January 14 - Opal Apple fact sheet
- January 20 - Minneola fact sheet
- January 21 - Pink Lady apple fact sheet
- January 27 - Georgia Cauliflower fact sheet
- January 28 - Honey Crisp Apple fact sheet
- January 29 - Orange/Purple Sweet Potato fact sheet
Click here for the January 2021 FFVP menu calendar.
FEBRUARY 2021 MATERIALS
- February 3 - Tando Mandarin Wedge fact sheet
- February 4 - Brussels Sprout fact sheet
- February 5 - Granny Smith Apple/Red Grape fact sheet
- February 10 - Green Beans fact sheet
- February 11 - Yellow Pepper Julienne fact sheet
- February 12 - Leeks fact sheet
- February 18 - Rainbow Carrots fact sheet
- February 19 - Page Mandarin Wedge fact sheet
- February 24- Shasta Mandarin Wedge fact sheet
- February 25 - Georgia Carrots fact sheet
- February 26 - McIntosh Apple fact sheet
Click here for the February 2021 FFVP menu calendar.
MARCH 2021 MATERIALS
- March 3 - Pineapple fact sheet
- March 4 - Collards fact sheet
- March 5 - Kiwi Wedge fact sheet
- March 17 - Watermelon Radish fact sheet
- March 18 - Klondike Mandarin fact sheet
- March 19 - Tomatillos fact sheet
- March 25 - Georgia Red Beets fact sheet
- March 26 - Golden Nugget Mandarin fact sheet
Click here for the March 2021 FFVP menu calendar.
ELIGIBLE SCHOOLS FOR THE 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
|Fresh Fruit||and Vegetable||Program|
|Ortega Elementary||Ruth N Upson Elementary||Arlington Elementary|
|Thomas Jefferson Elementary||Venetia Elementary||Spring Park Elementary|
|Biltmore Elementary||Ramona Elementary||San Jose Elementary|
|Lake Lucina Elementary||Englewood Elementary||Woodland Acres Elementary|
|Pinedale Elementary||Windy Hill Elementary||Timucuan Elementary|
|Sadie Tillis Elementary||Susie E. Tolbert Elementary||Rufus Payne Elementary|
|Reynolds Lane Elementary||Parkwood Heights Elementary||Holiday Hill Elementary|
|Martin L. King Elementary School||Normandy Village Elementary||Greenfield Elementary|
|Mayport Elementary||Merrill Road Elementary||Jacksonville Heights Elementary|
|Stonewall Jackson Elementary||Fort Caroline Elementary||Mamie Agnes Jones Elementary|
|Arlington Heights Elementary||Neptune Beach Elementary||Pine Estates Elementary|
|Twin Lakes Academy Elementary||Enterprise Learning Academy||Abess Park Elementary|