Best Business Practices
Self-Assessment Checklist for Best Business Practices
Internal Board Audit (IBA) wants to reinforce good internal controls within all departments. As a tool, a self-assessment checklist has been created to help District departments stay current in various best practices. We encourage all District departments to self-assess their business practices and reach-out to IBA if any questions or concerns arise while evaluating practices. Not all items on the checklist will be practiced in all departments.
This tool gives a basic overview of important controls in the areas of:
- General Control Environment;
- Budget Management;
- General Expenditures and Procurement;
- Cash Handling; Change and Petty Cash Funds;
- Public Safety, Emergency Planning and Business Continuity;
- Human Resources and Payroll;
- Information Technology Management;
- Miscellaneous Department Operations;
- Administration of Grants; and
- Safeguarding of Assets.
Please see the Best Business Practices Self-Assessment Checklist (users must have a DCPS log-in to access documents).