National Honor Society
The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation's premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. The NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character. Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.
Service RecognitionDouglas Anderson is a service-learning school. The NHS has established a program to recognize all graduating seniors who complete over 200 hours of community service during their high school career. The Douglas Anderson NHS provides funding to purchase silver cords for these students who are recognized in the program for their service.
The following is the National Honor Society’s application process:
- Applications are available in November.
- Any Sophomore or Junior who has a weighted GPA of 3.90 or higher may apply.
- Your weighted GPA may be obtained in Guidance.
- If you are interested, please review all criteria for eligibility. These criteria are included in our Application Packet that you must pick up at the NHS Nook (down the hall from the cafeteria).
- Remember that membership in NHS is a time and talent commitment so be sure that you are able to honor your pledge to NHS.
- For more information, see Mr. Pickering.