From homework and tests, to after-school activities and social events, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed at school. It's important that we learn how to address stress and take time to relax, refresh, and recharge. Below are nine strategies.
Nine ways to reduce stress
- Get enough sleep.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Move! Exercise helps keep stress at bay.
- Relax with hobbies. Make times for the things they love.
- Don’t overschedule – allow your children to have time for themselves.
- Explore a new place – restaurant, museum, a new park, nature preserve, or tour your city or town via car looking at the different types of architecture or murals and other artwork.
- Teach your kids to ask for help when they feel overwhelmed.
- Learn how to deal with stress by practicing good coping skills.
- Try a minute of deep breathing, do Tai Chi, take a nature walk, play with your pet, or try journal writing as a stress reducer.
- Also, remember to smile and see the humor in life. Research shows that laughter can boost your immune system, ease pain, relax your body and reduce stress.
- Quiet your mind and try mindfulness! Relaxation exercises can improve your state of mind and outlook on life. In fact, research shows that meditation may help you feel calm and enhance the effects of other stress reducers like therapy, etc.