Reconsideration of Reading Lists and Instructional Material
Request for reconsideration of materials in reading lists or for classroom instruction:
Request for reevaluation of reading lists and books used for classroom instruction may be requested using the Reconsideration Form for Media Services.
- Instructional materials/ novels are selected by the school district to implement, enrich, and support the educational program for the student.
- Materials must serve both the breadth of the curriculum and the needs and interests of individual students.
- The district is obligated to provide for a wide range of abilities and to respect the diversity of many differing points of view. Principles must be placed above personal opinion and reason above prejudice in the selection of materials of the highest quality and appropriateness.
- Book approvals are done at the school level.
- Parents may request, in writing, an alternative book/selection if they deem the material chosen for study is not appropriate for their own child.