Stanton College Preparatory School is the oldest continually operating high school in Florida. In 1981, Stanton became Duval County's first magnet school and has continued to be a public school success story. Our goal is to provide a unique and outstanding experience by offering two academic programs designed to meet the needs of highly motivated and academically talented students, while preparing them for college-level courses and giving them the opportunity to earn college credits. The Advanced Placement (AP) program is designed based on American-style educational principles, while the International Baccalaureate (IB) program is a global, pre-university liberal arts program of study. Nationally, Stanton is recognized as one of the top 25 magnet high schools and the top 100 overall high schools. These rankings and the numbers below speak to the love, support, and care that we pour into our students.
The oldest continually operating high school in Florida draws from the rich community traditions of the past while reaching for a new tradition of advanced academic achievement. Built in the 1860′s, Stanton was destroyed, rebuilt, moved, and changed from a comprehensive to vocational curricula. In 1981, Stanton College Preparatory School became Duval County Public Schools’ first magnet school. Beginning with grades 7-10, and adding one grade level each succeeding year, the first senior class of 54 students graduated in 1984. Stanton College Preparatory School now serves secondary students in the Duval County school district and leads Duval County Public Schools in academic achievement. Each year, Stanton houses 1300 students with approximately 600 International Baccalaureate Diploma Program Students and 700 Advanced Placement / Honors Students. Stanton consistently ranks first in the county and top 5 in the state for the number of National Merit Semi-Finalists, with this year being no exception (Class of 2024 has 19 ). In 2018, Stanton received the distinct recognition of being awarded the National Blue Ribbon School for Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education.
Although we are proud of our academic prowess, we also take pride in having a well-rounded school where our students balance a rigorous academic course load, while also enjoying extra-curricular activities and athletics.
- Stanton has over 80 clubs and organizations that provide a wide range of activities for student participation and involvement. We have 15 Honor Societies, 10 service organizations, and many more. Our largest club is our Multicultural Club with over 250 members. Each year in February, they host one of the most popular events, the Multicultural Extravaganza, which includes dance performances from various cultures and includes many different dance styles.
- The school newspaper, yearbook and literary magazines have won many awards and received countless recognitions.
- The award-winning marching and concert bands have entertained crowds all over Florida.
- The drama productions and art shows win public and critical acclaim both locally and state-wide, including the entirely student-managed and produced One Act play showcase.
- Our athletic program is one of the top in Duval county. We have 26 sports between Fall, Winter, and Spring seasons. Each year, we capture multiple Gateway Conference Championships, and perform well in the FHSAA State Series. Over the past four years, we have had 2 State Champion swimmers/divers.
If you are looking for a culture that harvests working hard, achieving success in all aspects of life, and pushing yourself beyond set limitations, then STANTON is the place for YOU!!!
View the rest of the pages in this Student Recruitment Guide to learn more information about Stanton College Preparatory School, and how you and your family can join ours!