Magnet Application Process (January-February):
- Step One: Complete a Magnet School application, available online via the parent's grade portal , or fill out a paper application, availabe at your choice school.
- Step Two: Attend an information session and visit the school.*You need to attend one recruiting event. Weekday and Saturday events are being offered for your convenience.
- Step Three: Get appropriate principals’ signatures (only given out after attending the full recruiting event).
- Step Four: Completed applications must be submitted to the School Choice Office at the School Board Building or completed online by February 28th @ 4:00 pm.
- Students entering Darnell-Cookman in the 9th grade must submit proof of successful completion of Algebra I, and students entering in the 10th grade must submit proof of successful completion of Algebra I, Geometry, and Biology. Students entering in the 11th-grade level are taken on a case-by-case basis after credit reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Any student who is not currently attending Darnell-Cookman must submit a magnet application by Feb. 28th This can be done online via the parent grade portal, or a paper application can be obtained at the school and turned into the school choice office at the downtown school board building.
- Any current 8th grader who is attending Darnell-Cookman will automatically be enrolled into the high school program.
- 8th graders still have continuity to Paxon & Stanton if they select Paxon and/or Stanton as their 1st and 2nd choice. If they do not, they lose their continuity to these schools
- We will only be accepting applications for students going into 6th through 10th grade. We will not accept new 11th or 12th graders.
- Any student applying for the high school program must have completed the prerequisite math courses. New 9th graders-Algebra I; new 10th graders- Algebra I, Geometry, and Biology I