2019-2020 Axson Tour Schedule
****All information below is subject to change based on information that comes down from the School Choice Department. Note that all new changes will be highlighted in yellow.****
Tour information will be coming in January. Children are not able to attend tours during the school day as class is in session. Children are only welcome to come to the Open House (date to be determined).
Please call 992-3600 and speak to Axson’s Front Office Staff to schedule a tour starting in January or February. Please do not call before, because we will not be able to assist with tour scheduling sooner than January.
We do not schedule individual tours. Please plan and select an available tour date from the dates listed when they come out, call us, and sign up for the tour you would like. Alternatively, the whole family can come to the Open House (date to be determined).
You will be able to check out our website calendar for the tour dates and give us a call to get on the list for the day you want to attend.
There will be no tours given after February 28th.
After you have toured, you can apply.
***ALL MAGNET APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY FEBRUARY 28TH TO BE ENTERED IN THE LOTTERY***
Come and check out our school on (date to be determined) at the School Choice Expo at the Prime Osborn Convention Center from (time to be determined). This does not count as a tour, but there will be a lot of magnet schools there for you to check out so you can make an informed decision about the education of your child. We hope to see you there.
To be eligible for the PK3 program your child should be 3 years old by September 1st of the school year you are applying for. Also all preschoolers at Axson are required to be fully potty trained (able to initiate going to the restroom as well as able to fully clean and dress themselves). At J. Allen Axson, our Preschool Program is a tuition based program, currently $327 per month and our preschoolers attend school Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 1:30pm. We do not offer part-time preschool. After touring the school, an application can be submitted to the magnet office, usually by the end of February for the following school year in order to apply for the program. Once the application is received, it is processed via a lottery, just as all other magnet applications. Typically, you are notified by the end of April via email or letter. The communication will inform you if your child was accepted or wait-listed. Currently there is continuity from Preschool to Kindergarten, so at this time, Pre-k students do not need to reappply for Kindergarten.
After touring the school, all applications should be submitted to the magnet office by the end of February for the following school year. Kindergarten students must be 5 years old by September 1st of the school year you are applying for.
Grades 1 – 5
Please bring proof of Montessori experience to the tour. The proof should also be submitted with the application to the magnet office by the end of February for the following school year. Students will only be admitted to these grades if they have previous lower elementary Montessori experience in the prior school year. (Proof of Montessori experience can be in the form of a letter form the school or a report card. ) The Principal will verify the documentation of the prior Montessori experience.
Our school has the following continuity: Axson Montessori to John E Ford Montessori Middle School. Fifth grade students must fill out a magnet application to John E. Ford. Visit the School Choice Office's Forms Page: http://www.duvalschools.org/schoolchoice.
Students currently enrolled in Duval County Public Schools will be able to access the Magnet Application in the parent/guardian FOCUS account. Blank applications are also available on the School Choice website. There is a deadline for turning in this application that must be met to be eligible for lottery. It is February 28th.
We will offer tours beginning in January through February for the following school year. Please call (904)992-3600 to set up a tour time or if you have any questions about the tours. Usually we have our tour schedule available for signing up by December, but we may not have it available until January. Parents are asked not to bring children to the tours as you will be going into working classrooms. Students in 1st grade through 5th grade must bring proof of prior Montessori experience in the prior school year in order to tour the school for that grade level. The tours are put into the FOCUS system, and that counts as the proof that you toured.
In addition, the school will host an Open House on (date to be determined). This is a unique opportunity to see the Montessori method of teaching in operation at a Duval County public school. The Montessori method uses hands-on materials in a self-paced curriculum within a multi-age classroom. Classrooms will be open so that you may see students interacting with each other and their teachers. You do not need to sign up for an appointment and children are welcome to come this day.
- The first priority of the lottery is neighborhood preference for students who live in the former attendance area of a dedicated magnet school.
- The second lottery priority is military dependent, for a student who has a parent on active duty. (Students must meet eligibility requirements when applicable, follow application procedures, live in Duval County and submit recent active duty orders and emergency data record.
- The third lottery priority is sibling preference for a student who has a brother or sister residing at the same address who attends a magnet program at the same school and is eligible to return next year. Siblings applying for the first time are not eligible to receive sibling preference. (Parents completing a blank application form must provide name and student ID# of sibling already attending the school.)
- The fourth lottery priority is elementary students whose neighborhood school is a Title 1 school and who apply to attend a magnet program in a non-Title 1 school.
- The fifth priority is for students whose parents attend a tour or open house at the magnet school they are applying for in our attendance zones.
- The sixth lottery priority is drawn from all students who apply to J. Allen Axson but who did not tour the school.
- The lottery is drawn in April of each year for the following school year. The deadline for submitting Magnet applications is generally late February. Check here for more information: http://www.duvalschools.org/schoolchoice.
For questions about Extended Day before and after school, check out our Extended Day page.