Ortega Elementary Magnet Standards
Kindergarten (Focus: Collecting)
- Standard 1: The student will work with a collection of objects focusing on observation, collecting data, sorting, and classifying.
First Grade (Focus: Display and Conservation)
- Standard 2: By the end of Kindergarten, the student will understand that there are many different types of collections.
- Standard 1: By the end of first grade, the student will demonstrate appropriate mounting methods in exhibition scenarios.
- Standard 2: By the end of first grade, the student will understand the requirements of good conservation in a museum setting.
- Standard 3: By the end of first grade, the student will understand that in a museum, curators select objects from a collection to create a narrative or to communicate information.
Second Grade (Focus: Design and Production)
- Standard 1: The student will write informative/explanatory texts and or museum labels in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
- Standard 2: By the end of second grade, the student will understands spatial planning, design, and physical presentation appropriate to the exhibition’s theme, subject matter, collection, and audiences.
Third Grade (Focus: Content)
- Standard 1: By the end of third grade, the student will convey the information/message of the exhibition clearly and coherently by
- Including an exhibition title that communicates the subject and sounds appealing
- Communicating a clear set of ideas
- Presenting information in a discernable pattern
- Providing coherent, easy-to-follow, and consistent formats for presenting information and eliciting responses
- Including interpretative media that is appropriate to the exhibition goals
- Using attractive presentation to make the subject matter come alive
- Standard 1: By the end of fourth grade, the student will understand the integrity of exhibition content by:
o Presenting a sufficient number of objects to present the subject of the exhibition
o Using an appropriate format with its use of objects, environments, and other means of physical presentation of content.
o Clearly expressing significant ideas through reference to objects in the exhibition
o Creating visitor interest
Fifth Grade (Focus: Audience Awareness)
- Standard 1: By the end of fifth grade, the student will demonstrate an awareness of audience consistent with exhibition goals by basing decisions on content, means of expression, and design on the intended audience.
- Standard 2: By the end of fifth grade, the student will design an exhibition to accommodate the needs of those who wish to skim as well as those who wish to take more time.
- Standard 3: The student will provide information in a variety of formats to accommodate various needs and preferences in an exhibition.