School Bus Code
The bus ride is considered an extension of the school day. Families should familiarize themselves with the Code of Student Conduct, which includes the school bus safety rules and responsibilities of parents and guardians of transported students. Bus riding is a privilege, which may be revoked. Please refer to the School Bus Code below, excerpted from the Students and Families, Code of Conduct for elementary and secondary students.
- Be respectful to the bus operator, monitor, and all other passengers
- Enter bus orderly, take assigned seat quickly, buckle seatbelt, and wear it during the entire trip
- Face forward and remain in your seat until you get off at your bus stop
- Talk quietly
- Keep all parts of the body and objects inside the bus window at all times
- Keep hands, legs, and belongings to yourself
- Eating, drinking and smoking is not allowed
- Follow directions given by the bus driver or monitor at all times
Responsibilities of Parents and Guardians of Transported Students:
- To ensure the safe travel of students to and from school and home when students are not under the custody and control of the district, including to and from home and the assigned bus stop.
- To ensure that students ride only in their assigned school buses and get off only at assigned bus stops, except when alternative buses or arrangements have been made.
- To ensure students are aware of and follow the expected rules of behavior while they are at the bus stops and to provide the necessary supervision during times when the bus is not present.
- To provide the necessary assistance for students to get on and off at the bus stop when the physical disability of the student renders them unable to get on and off the bus without assistance (as required by district policy or the student’s individual education plan).
Safety Procedures and Responsibilities of Students Being Transported:
- Arrive at the bus stop ten (10) minutes prior to the scheduled pick up time
- Take responsibility for their behavior and conduct themselves in a respectful, orderly manner while waiting at the bus stop for the bus to arrive
- Wait until the bus comes to a stop before attempting to get on or off
- Enter or leave the bus only at the front door after it has come to a stop, except in the case of an emergency as directed by the driver
- Leave the bus only with the consent of the driver
- Be silent when approaching or crossing railroad tracks
- Keep the aisle and step well clear at all times
- Do not tamper with door handles, windows, and other safety equipment at any time
- Do not use wireless communication devices, or electronic devices. Exception: Field trips in which the school administration approves the use of these devices or as a planned intervention for special needs students
- Do not use wireless communication devices except in an emergency concerning safety-to-life issues (defined as a bus accident, mechanical breakdown which delays the normal route, and/or thirty (30) minutes or more in a route delay)
Bus Safety Information
Are We There Yet? Brochure