Center for Language and Culture(on the campus of Kings Trail Elementary)7401 Old Kings Road SouthJacksonville 32217(904)739-4891
The Center for Language and Culture (CLC)The Center for Language and Culture (CLC) is a service center for refugee, immigrant and newly arrived families who speak a language other than English. The CLC offers homework assistance to students, evening language classes for parents, informational community sessions in various languages, and orientation to American schools for newly arrived families. We are trying to make a positive difference through our actions and services so that families new to Jacksonville have a smooth transition into the American culture and into the Duval County Public school system. Our goal is to make our community a better place for all of its members.The CLC serves three main objectives:
1. Testing Center for Student
- Initial English Proficiency Testing for Students
- Utilize results of the Home Language Survey to designate testing for all new students entering DCPS Advise parents on program options (Home School, Dual Language, Newcomer)
- Assist parents with registration documents including lunch registration and transportation
2. Orientation Services for Parents and Families
- Complete registration forms
- Information about American schools and service agencies
- Information on clinics and health care centers
- Provide Translations
- Referrals to VPK centers and summer programs run by the city of Jacksonville
3. Resource Center and Multifunctional Classroom
- School Orientation Meetings
- Streetwise and Safety - Jacksonville Sheriff's Office
- Immunizations & Children’s Health
- Parent and Community Outreach Programs, offered at various school locations throughout the school year
Also, as of September 2020, the following services will be offered virtually through Skype:
- Rosetta Stone
- The Immigrant Guide in English & Spanish
- Homework Help and Resources for Students and Parents
- Women’s Meeting
- US Citizenship Preparation Test
- ESOL Parent Workshop
- Parent Academy/ DCPS Workshops
Monthly Schedule of Activities
The Immigrant Guide: What Every Immigrant Needs to Know
Mondays 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
La guía del inmigrante: Lo que todo inmigrante debe saber
Lunes 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Homework Help and Resources for Students and Parents
(Q&A Session and Virtual Support)
Mondays 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Ayuda a estudiantes y padres con las tareas escolares
(Computadoras y acceso a internet)
Lunes 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Weekly Meeting for US Citizenship Test Preparation:
Tuesday 03:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Clases de preparación para la prueba de ciudadanía. Reunión semanal.
Martes 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Rosetta Stone English & Spanish Class
Tuesday 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Tuesday 02:00 p.m. - 03:30 p.m.
Thursday 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Send a request to email@example.com for meeting link
Rosetta Stone. Clases de Inglés y Español
Martes 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Martes 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Jueves 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Envíe una solicitud a firstname.lastname@example.org para el enlace de estas clases
Free Community Meetings
An Overview of Learning Opportunities at FSCJ Informative Workshop
ESOL, GED, Career, and College programs
May 6, 2021 @ 11:00 a.m.
THE PLAYERS Center for Child Health at Wolfson Children’s Hospital Informative Workshop
Home Safety Topics, Child Passenger Safety, and Florida KidCare/Food Assistance Public Benefits.
May 13, 2021 @ 11:00 a.m.
Lutheran Social Services of Northeast Florida
Financial Opportunity Center – Steps 2 Success
Job Searching Basics
May 20, 2021 @ 11:00 a.m.
Important Days to Remember
Memorial Day-School/Admin Offices Closed
May 31, 2021