Diabetes Management and PreventionDCPS offers a diabetes management for those already diagnosed.Who's Eligible to participate in the diabetes management programs?All school board employees, retirees and covered adult dependents who are eligible for the program...
- have a confirmed diabetes diagnosis, and
- are enrolled in the school board's self-funded health plan
What you can expect with either program
Certain guidelines apply to medication and supplies that are provided for free. This information is covered in your diabetes education class.Diabetes Management ProgramThis program is scheduled for select Saturdays throughout the school year at the DCPS Administration building. The requirements include:
- FREE diabetic-related generic prescription medications (cholesterol, blood pressure and diabetic)
- FREE approved diabetic supplies (needles and syringes)
- FREE insulin
- FREE ongoing support from nurse health educators
- Your participation is voluntary and will be kept confidential. You can opt out at any time and your standard health plan benefits will apply
Each year, the ADA recommended screenings, physician exams and diabetes refresher course must be completed to continue to receive FREE medication, supplies and support.
- Call Resa Askew at (904) 390-2323 to register.
- Attend an 8 1/2 hour diabetes education class and then a two hour refresher class each year thereafter. Your spouse or one adult family member may also attend. Note: Classes have limited seating, so participants are assigned to class dates based on the order in which calls are received.
- Complete a FREE blood screening test at a Quest Laboratory within two months after completing the class.
- Have a diabetic foot exam by a family physician, podiatrist or endocrinologist three months before or after attending the class and then annually thereafter.
- Talk with your health plan's nurse educator by phone, at least every three months.
For a free Biometric Screening through the Quest for Health Program please review flyer. For the next Diabetes management class or any questions contact your Florida Blue on-site representative Resa Askew at 904-390-2323.Biometric Screening throuth Quest Quest Diabetes Flyer