The 5000 Role Models of Excellence Project aims to intervene in the lives of minority male youth in an effort to provide them with positive role models and experiences that will empower them to make good choices and encourage healthy living, responsibility, respect, and achievement. Expected outcomes include improved academic performance, reduces truancy, fewer referrals and suspensions, and increased pathways to success through mentoring and diverse experiences.
Young men from grades 3-12 will participate in various cultural and educational experiences such as visits to college campuses, etiquette workshops, and job and career building trainings. Students will also server as ambassadors for the program and the school district throughout the city of Jacksonville. Each school will have a 5000 Role Models of Excellence Site Director who will serves as club sponsors to facilitate speakers, field trips, and assist in mentor recruitment.
*Please Note: Students are selected for participation by their school principals.
The purpose of this 5000 Role Models is to recognize young men who have made the commitment to do the right thing even when faced with adversity and obstacles. We bring them in front of caring adult men who have faced some of those same fears, adversity and obstacles but overcame them in order to obtain a level of success in their respective career fields and life in general.
Shirt tucked in at all times
Pants pulled up on the waistline
Belt worn at all times
Tie or bow tie
Hair combed or brushed
5000 Role Models of Excellence Pledge
- I WILL RESPECT MY TEACHERS, PRINCIPAL AND ADULTS IN CHARGE.
- I WILL TREAT MY ROLE MODELS BROTHERS AND CLASSMATES FAIRLY AND WITH RESPECT.
- I WILL OBEY THE SCHOOL DISTRICT’S CODE OF CONDUCT.
- I WILL MAKE MY FAMILY PROUD THROUGH PERFORMING GOOD DEEDS DAILY.
- I WILL PRACTICE ETHICAL BEHAVIOR AND GOOD MANNERS.
- I WILL NOT USE PROFANE LANGUAGE OR MAKE DEFAMATORY REMARKS.
- I WILL SET HIGH ACADEMIC GOALS FOR MYSELF.
- I WILL NOT ABUSE OR CONDONE THE USE OR SALE OF DRUGS.
- I WILL NOT CARRY FIREARMS OR OTHER WEAPONS.
- I WILL PROMOTE BROTHERHOOD OF THE 5000
ROLE MODELS OF EXCELLENCE PROJECT AND
PROMOTE PEACE AND NON-VIOLENCE AT SCHOOL AND
ALL OVER THE COMMUNITY.
If you agree with this statement reply with an “I Will” (students say in unison, “I Will”).