Greetings HSG Families,
Well, we are just about 17 school days out from the start of the 2019-2020 school year. Teachers have been attending professional development in preparation for this day. We are looking forward to a great year of learning and growing. We hope you have been able to refresh and recharge, and that the kids are ready to go.
Following are some important updates, information and events:
- Please join us for our annual HSG Meet and Greet on Friday, August 9th from 9 a.m. -11 a.m. We'd like to invite all students and families to this casual event where you can meet your child's teacher in their classroom, say a quick hello, drop off school supplies, and informally tour the campus.
- If you are curious who your child's teacher is for the 2019-2020 school year, that information will be posted on FOCUS by August 1st. If you don't have a FOCUS account, click on the following link https://dcps.duvalschools.org/Page/18946. That information will also be available during Orientation on August 9th from 9 a.m. - 11 a.m.
- School Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. In the interest of safety, please do not drop off your children before 8:00 a.m., as there is no adult supervision before that time. Also, please be sure to pick up your child by 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon.
- Drop-off and Pick-Up:
- Morning entrance into the school will remain on the east side of the school in the car rider loop. Students will begin entering the building at 8:00 a.m. Any students arriving after 8:25 a.m. will need to report to the main office. Students in grades 1st thru 5th will report to the cafeteria to eat breakfast from 8:00 a.m. - 8:25 a.m. Teachers will come to the cafeteria at 8:30 to take students to class. Kindergarten students are escorted to the media center by Safety Patrols at 8:00 a.m. PreKindergarten students will be picked up by paraprofessionals in the car rider loop entrance.
- At the end of the day, teachers will escort students to their designated dismissal areas. All car-riders will be picked up and dropped of in the car rider loop. Car-Rider parents MUST remain in cars at all times unless parking and maintain a speed limit of 5 mph or lower for the safety of all. Car-Rider Dismissal begins at 2:50 p.m. For safety, Car riders will be assigned a car decal number. Car Decals will be available during Orientation on August 9th. Walkers, Bus Riders, and Day Care students are dismissed at 3:00 in the front of the building. Parents who park in the "NO PARKING" zone run the risk of being ticketed by JSO.
- Please be patient the first two weeks of school during student dismissal times. My goal is provided safety to all students and staff. We want to make sure each child makes it home safely. Please make sure your child's teacher know the mode of transportation home and who picks them up.
- On the first day of school, Monday, August 12th students will report to designated areas as listed above. Teachers will come to those areas at 8:30 a.m. to pick students up for class. There will be volunteers available to help you find your classroom. Please do not enter the classroom as teachers are busy getting ready for their first day. Parents are permitted to walk their child(ren) the 1st two days of school. Afterwards, all parents must be cleared via DCPS to escort child(ren) to their morning designated area and exit the building after drop off. Please report to the main office to sign in and out. No unannounced parent conferences at this time.
- Extended Day Pre-Registration -
- If you are in need of before and after child-care, Extended Day Early Pre-registration will be held on Tuesday, July 23 from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Extended Day is on a first come first served basis. If you are unable to make it on July 23, you can register your child for Extended Day on August 9th, 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. There are only 75 slots available.
- Early Dismissal - Students will now be released early 1 time per month. Early Dimissal Schedule: 8:30 - 1:15.
- School Uniforms - All students are to be in school uniform on the 1st day of school. You can purchase uniforms through our school vendor Total Impact or a local retail store. Shirt colors are gold, navy blue, light blue, sapphire (cobalt blue) and white. Bottoms are Khaki or navy blue pants, skorts, shorts, or dresses. NO JEANS.
I have attached a Welcome Back letter with additional information and dates of upcoming events. Please click on the link above. Should you have any questions that have not been answered, please contact the main office by phone at 904-720-1640.
We are all looking forward to our students returning soon!
Have a great last few days of summer.
Charlene T. James