Welcome Back to School!!!!
I hope you are recharged and ready to start a new school year. I am so delighted that you are part of our amazing learning community. I welcome and value your positive energy and dedication to excellence in education, and I look forward to working with you and your children.All signs point to another incredible and productive school year. Our skilled and devoted staff are planning and preparing for your child(ren). Our enthusiastic office team is registering new families, ordering needed materials, and updating student files. Our hard-working and conscientious custodians have spent the entire summer thoroughly cleaning the facility. And our much-appreciated PTA is gearing up to welcome families, provide volunteer opportunities, and offer other exciting events and programs. We are indeed a joyful and caring community with the common goals of nurturing responsible, caring students and promoting high-level learning.
A warm welcome to the new Ruth N. Upson families. I look forward to meeting and working with you. Please make a note of our welcome-back-to-school community coffee at 9:15 a.m. on Thursday.
Student PlacementA great deal of time, effort and thought has gone into the process of student placement for the 2022-2023 school year. Careful consideration was given to input from staff and student learning styles. Classrooms have been balanced academically and socially. Our class lists are structured to provide equitable class sizes at each grade level. Moving students is difficult without causing imbalances and inequities.
Thank you so much for being positive towards your child and helping him or her understand that it is impossible to place all students with a preferred best friend or teacher. ALL of our staff work hard to make school a positive experience for ALL students. Ruth N. Upson is eagerly looking forward to enriching your child’s life. Thank you for understanding that it can take a few weeks for a child to acclimate to a new school, grade, peer group and teacher.
Each year brings exciting changes. As of the first week of August, additions to our staff include:
The Assistant Principal is Tess Nettles.
Teachers: Mrs. Hilary Foster, Ms. Kendra Dix, Mrs. Tracey King, Ms. Mary McCormick, and Ms. Megan Crissy
Welcome to everyone! We are so pleased you are part of the Ruth N. Upson family.
Current Classroom Teacher Roster (2019-2020)
PreK: Sara Dean
Kindergarten: Sara Henry, Ida Heard, Amanda Sanders
First Grade: Von Hubbard, Margaret Timm, Sara Lopez
Second Grade: Wendy Mueller, Emily Taylor-White
Third Grade: Stacey Carnine, Christine Bulluck, Brian Commissaris
Fourth Grade: Jennifer Cogburn, Jacqueline Pittman, Retha Dixon
Fifth Grade: Stacey Terrazzano, Tracey King, Kendra Dix
A Few Facilities Updates/Reminders
- New interior construction occurred this summer in anticipation of the flexible learning needs of both the Compass Program and students who work in the resource room.
- Painted lines near the student drop-off area clearly delineate student-walking areas from carpool lanes. The diagonal yellow stripes painted across the front sidewalk serve to remind students to stay clear of the parking lot curb as cars pull up for drop off or pick up. Thank you for reminding your children to exercise caution and stay away from the curb when using the front sidewalk.
Please sign up to keep track of your student's progress and to communicate with your child(ren)'s teacher.
Important Dates for Fall 2022
Please mark your calendars for the following start-of-the-school-year events:
- Friday, Aug 12th: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. – Meet and Greet Orientation– Families are invited to come to the school during these times to see their classrooms and meet their teachers.
- Monday, August 15th:
- First Day of School
- 8:00-8:30- PreK and Kindergarten BooHoo Breakfast in Media Center- Hosted by PTA- Families are welcome; we encourage you to come make new parent connections and learn about PTA volunteer opportunities.
- Thursday, September 1 Open House
- General Meeting in Cafe at 5:30
- Class visit Session I: 5:50-6:20pm
- Class visit Session II: 6:25-6:55
Community involvement is a key component to the success of students at Ruth N. Upson. We invite everyone to be a part of our school community. We welcome and encourage volunteers and hope that you will take advantage of the many opportunities available to you. These opportunities include supporting classrooms, attending/volunteering at PTA events, chaperoning field trips, and more. Please contact your child’s teacher for ways to become involved in your child’s classroom. To learn more about how to become a volunteer, please follow this link: https://dcps.duvalschools.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=29120
I eagerly look forward to greeting students and families again. It remains an honor and privilege to serve as your principal. Please stop by and say hello. Together, I know we will make this school year one of growth and achievement for all children.
Dr. Faith Roberts-Graham,