Dear Parents & Guardians,
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year! We are super excited to have your child starting Kindergarten here with us at Ortega Elementary. This is such an important milestone in their lives that we are committed to ensuring a positive, educational, and fun year. The skills your children will learn here will become the building blocks for their future successes.
Transitioning into Kindergarten can be a challenging time for children. Children benefit greatly from home support as they enter this new phase of their education. Most kids take to Kindergarten like fish to water, but the more you can mentally, physically, and emotionally prepare your child for the transition, the easier it will be.
Some suggestions for you:
· Remember that you are setting the tone for how your child views this experience.
· During the month preceding your child’s entry into Kindergarten, begin routines that will work during the school year. Paying attention to bedtimes and diet prior to school starting will make a big difference for your child.
Some suggestions for your child:
· Know his/her full name- They are expected to recite their full names- and know how to write their first name.
· Function independently- While at school your child will be expected to manage bathroom needs independently, fasten and unfasten simple buttons, put on and take off their coats, etc.
· Recognize basic letters and numbers- They should know the letters in their name and Children are expected to be able to count from at least 1-20 and be able to recognize these numbers as well as know some basic shapes and colors.
· Sit and listen to a story without interrupting- In Kindergarten, children must be able to concentrate on what the teacher is saying, listen and follow simple directions, etc. The best way to prepare children for this is to sit and read with them to focus on the story. This fosters retention and understanding. To encourage them to be able to follow simple commands- practice at home.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the school. We look forward to meeting and working with you and your child. It’s going to be a wonderful year.
The Ortega Kindergarten Team