At James Weldon Johnson College Preparatory Middle School we are empowering students to compete in a global society through the acquisition of indispensable knowledge, higher order conceptual thinking, and an appreciation of a culturally diverse world.We began in 1991 as the only middle school in Duval county for gifted and academically talented students and have continued to light the way for students seeking a rigorous academic program. We are named in honor of Jacksonville native and former school principal James Weldon Johnson - author, educator, lawyer, diplomat, songwriter, and early civil rights activist. We strive to honor his example through our commitment to excellence in all areas of school life - academics, arts, athletics, activities, and diversity.Since 1991 we have earned numerous honors for this commitment to excellence. Here are just a few:
- "A" rated school since 1999
- National Blue Ribbon School
- Magnet School of Distinction
- Consistently ranks in the top 3 for FCAT scores in Reading, Math, Writing, and Science at both district and state level
- First in the state for FCAT writes 2008-2012.
- Strong science and history fair traditions, with many winners at regional, state, and national levels. JWJ has sent more students to state science and history fairs than any other middle school in Duval county
- State level winners in the PTA sponsored Reflections art contest
- Multiple "Critics Choice" awards at Regional Thespian Competition (drama)
- Highly ranked in Stock Market Contest for the State of Florida - winner in 2012
- 2010 Governor's essay contest winner
- 1st place in National Poison Control Center poster contest
- Winners in Douglas Anderson Creative Writing Contest
- Winners of the district sports trophy for over 10 years
Advanced classes and rigorous course work equip our students with the core knowledge they need to excel in middle school, high school and college. Students find themselves well-prepared to enter Honors (AP), AICE, International Baccalaureate (IB), or Early College programs at outstanding area high schools. While at JWJ, high school credit may be earned for Honors Algebra I, Honors Geometry, Algebra II, Physical Science, Biology, French I, Spanish I, and Chinese I.In addition to academic rigor, students are given a well-rounded education through numerous opportunities to explore the arts, physical education, and cutting edge sciences. We feature all 4 fine arts disciplines - painting & sculpture, music, theatre, and dance. We also offer courses in computer technologies and programming. Our athletic students can choose from over 10 different sports such as football, baseball, swimming, volleyball, softball, and soccer.At JWJ, we know that life's most important lessons are learned both inside and outside of the classroom. We provide students with opportunities to nurture and grow their existing knowledge and talents, while at the same time making both friends and memories that will last a lifetime. We are friends. We are family. We are smart, creative, athletic, fierce, funny, diverse and talented. We are original!