Administrators and teachers of Duval County Public Schools enforce dress and grooming guidelines that promote the successful operation of schools. On-site administrators determine apparel that is appropriate, disruptive, distracting, or in violation of safety rules outlined in the General Code of Appearance.
Each student has the responsibility to dress appropriately for the school environment. Any apparel, jewelry (such as body piercings, ornaments) and hairstyles shall not disrupt the classroom environment. These guidelines for dress and grooming apply to all students in all public schools of Duval County.
- Elementary Schools: Shoes without closed heels or back straps should not be worn.
- Secondary Schools: Shoes must be worn. However, bedroom shoes or slippers shall not be worn.
- Halter-tops, tank tops, backless tops, tops with thin or no straps, or tops that show midriff or expose the body are prohibited.
- See-through or mesh garments shall not be worn without appropriate undergarments.
- Form-fitting or overly tight clothing shall not be worn without appropriate outer garments.
- Properly hemmed outer garments such as shorts, divided skirts, and dresses may be worn, provided they are not distracting, as determined by the school administration. Garments including, but not limited to such items as boxer shorts, traditionally designed as undergarments may not be worn as outer garments.
- Clothing and accessories shall not be worn if they display symbols, violence, lewd and obscene messages, sexually suggestive phrases, or advertisements, or symbols of alcohol, tobacco, or drugs
- Head coverings, including but not limited to, caps, hats, bandanas, and hair curlers, shall not be worn on school property, unless required by a physician or authorized by school personnel.
- The waistband of shorts, slacks, skirts, and similar garments shall not be worn below the hips. Underwear, midriff and backs should not be exposed. Belts, suspenders, and straps should be worn in place and fastened.
- Any articles of clothing or jewelry that may cause injury to oneself or to others are prohibited.
All students must adhere to these minimal guidelines for acceptable apparel and appearance. In order to maximize instructional time, students will be given an opportunity to immediately correct dress code violations