Coach SmirlCoach Smirl is the Basketball, Track & Field Head Coach for the Special Olympics here at Alden Road as well as the Motor Activity Training Program Coordinator for Duval County. Coach Smirl believes that the goal of the Adapted Physical Education at Alden Road is for all students to partake in a quality physical education program. To accomplish this, we shall follow the guidelines set forth by the Florida Department of Education, individualize instruction, and cover the following areas of exercise:
- Cardiovascular or Cardiorespiratory Fitness is the ability of the heart, lungs, and vascular system to deliver oxygen-rich blood working muscles during sustained physical activity
- Muscular Strength is the amount of force a muscle or muscle group can exert against resistance
- Muscular Endurance is the ability of a muscle or muscle group to repeat a movement or to sustain a position for an extended period of time
- Flexibility is the ability of a joint to move through its full range of motion, from a flexed to an extended position.
- Body composition is the amount of fat in the body compared to the amount of lean mass (muscle, bones, etc.).
We hope to see everyone at the county games!