Carter G. Woodson Elementary School
School of The Medical Arts
The Medical Arts magnet program at Carter G. Woodson Elementary is designed for the inquisitive child looking for adventure in exploring, discovering and learning. Medical science themes are used throughout the curriculum to spark interest and create curiosity about the wide variety of opportunities in the medical field. In the process, students gain confidence and skills they will need in any endeavor as members of tomorrow’s technology-driven society.
A unique approach to curriculum
At every level, students are encouraged to use inductive and deductive reasoning, engage in critical thinking and problem solving, and defend their ides.
Students experience a standards-based interdisciplinary curriculum that includes physical education, the arts, media technologies, field experiences and after-school activities. At the same time, they discover medical science ideas on their own, using models they can touch and manipulate, with access to computer terminals and a medical lab designed for their age. The Medical Arts curriculum includes these elements:
- Health Occupations
- Anatomy and Physiology
- History of Medicine
- Scientific Inquiry and Medical Research
- Environmental Health
- Medical Tools, Technology and Terminology
- Environmental and Cultural Impact on Health
- Personal Health
Preparing students for success
- The program meets rigorous state and national standards for health education curriculum in a variety of ways:
- It is both research-based and theory-driven while focusing on clear health goals and related behavioral outcomes.
- It addresses individual values and group norms while identifying specific behaviors that increase and reduce health risks.
- It addresses social pressures and influences while building personal competence, social competence and self efficacy.
For more information about the extraordinary Medical Arts curriculum at Carter G. Woodson Elementary, visit www.duvalschools.org/woodson or call us at (904) 924-3004