One of our amazing teachers put together these tips to help you adjust to virtual education:
1. On the first day of school go to http://www.edgenuity.com/SIS-Login/. FIRST watch the orientation video and then log-in using the username and password that you registered with in Edgenuity, our curriculum provider.
2. For the best results use Google Chrome as your web browser. If you do not have it you can download it for free in Google.
3. Once you are logged in, look around on your Student Information System (SIS) dashboard! As you complete your coursework, this screen will populate with information to help you track your progress. We want you to explore the different tabs; you won't hurt a thing.
4. When you are ready to look into a course, click on one of them in the SIS and you will be taken to the Learning Management System (LMS) where your courses are housed. After you log in with the same username and password that you used for the SIS, you will see your LMS Dashboard. Again, tour the different functions by clicking on each button.
5. Your teachers can also assist you in getting comfortable when you call them for a Welcome Call. You will find their contact Information on the Course Information tab of the SIS.
6. Did you find the Assignment Calendar for your courses on the Organizer Tab on the LMS? Look under Reports and you you will find it there. This will be your guide in helping you to know what work you should complete each week for each course. If you do not complete the activities due each week in a class, your teacher may give you zeroes for each activity, assignment or test not completed.
7.Make sure to read the posted announcements on the LMS each day to stay current. You will also want to make sure to check your message center in the SIS regularly as this is how teachers will communicate with you on a regular basis. At times, they will also call, text, Skype, Facetime.... It is extremely difficult to be successful in virtual education if you do not keep your contact information current. Make sure to call the school (390-2037) if you need to update any information or feel free to edit yourself in the SIS.
8. Have a PLAN!!! Create a daily and weekly plan as to how and when you will complete the assignments due each week in your classes. Your plan should be in writing, and keep the plan in front of you each day.
9. Communicate with your teachers! This is one of the most important aspects of virtual school and what sets it apart from your regular brick and mortar school. You will have your teacher's phone number and email address. Call them, text them, email them with your questions, problems, concerns, etc. We love to hear from our students. And if your teacher calls you, answer the phone, talk to them! We are here for you, we are here to get you through this class successfully and with minimal stress. If you can't bring yourself to call your teacher, then TEXT THEM!!!
10. Keep a notebook for all of your virtual school. One recommendation is to have one binder with dividers. Label the dividers. You may need to take notes or work out problems. You should also print your pacing guide/chart and put in the binder.
11. Work every day in your classes, do not get behind. If possible, WORK AHEAD! Your classes are open for you 24/7, take advantage of that to stay on pace.
**If you are not working, it counts as absences from school. Excessive absences can result in withdrawal from our program.