JAAxson School Counseling Program
Welcome to J. Allen Axson’s school counseling program. Mrs. Irene Aguilar Bryson is our school counselor. We encourage you to visit the school counseling website (linked on the right) to get updates on the school counseling program.
The school counselor at J. Allen Axson Montessori School develops a comprehensive, prevention-oriented school counseling program based on the American School Counselor Association National Model, the Florida Frameworks for school counselors and our schools' identified needs.
The mission of the school counseling program at J. Allen Axson Montessori is to provide a comprehensive, developmental program that addresses the academic, career and social/emotional needs of all students in a manner that is respectful of individual and cultural differences. The school counselor works in collaboration with the students and staff to support independent thinkers who take responsibility for their choices and are curious, life-long learners.
The philosophy of the school counseling program at J. Allen Axson Montessori incorporates the following beliefs, held by the school counselors and the school staff:
- All students can succeed
- All children deserve to be respected and honored for their cultural heritage and personal characteristics
- Fostering positive, responsible students is the responsibility of the school, home and community
- Learning is a lifelong process and students, teachers and staff engage in education for life
- We are committed to providing a safe, caring environment with diversified instruction that promotes success for all students
- Independent work, self-motivation and responsible choices are promoted and are the cornerstones of the Montessori method
- The diverse needs of all students must be addressed through the counseling program
- Every student needs appropriate personal and social skills to achieve their fullest potential
- A comprehensive developmental school counseling program is an integral part of the total education program. A developmentally appropriate school counseling program provides important benefits to individual students by addressing academic, emotional, social, personal, and psychological needs.
The Role of the School Counselor
♥Working with students in small groups on topics such as social skills, friendship, family changes, self-esteem, school success, etc.
♥Meeting with students individually on issues such as peer conflicts, academic concerns, family changes, grief issues, anger management, etc.
♥Teaching developmentally appropriate, skill-based classroom lessons in all classrooms covering the areas of academic success, social skills, self-management, protective behaviors, careers and transition. This includes the topics of listening, cooperation, friendship, bullying and personal safety.
♥Consulting with teachers, staff, administrators, parents and community resources.
♥Working with parents, teachers, and staff to help students reach their social, emotional, and academic potential.
Administration building, #112.
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Please call for an appointment to discuss your personal concerns.
Office phone: (904) 992-3600 option 4