There are several guidance services available to our Sadie Tillis families. Read below for more information. Click here for a request for counseling by our counselor, Latona Johnson
Small Group Counseling
Small group counseling sessions are offered throughout the year. The small group experience is an enjoyable way for students to benefit from personal growth as well as gain support from peers with similar needs. Groups are typically arranged through parent and teacher referrals. The small groups usually meet for four to six week sessions. Groups are created as needed according to varying topics. Small groups may focus on confidence building, anger management, changing families/divorce, friendship, social skills, or school success.
Students can request to see me as well as teacher and/or parent request. During individual meetings with students, I can help children understand and accept themselves, cope with family changes and/or crisis, develop decision making skills, conflict resolution skills, anger management techniques, and problem solving strategies. The following are just a few examples of the situations in which school counselors can help their students:
- · My parents are getting a divorce. I am scared about what is happening
- · My best friend and I seem to be fighting a lot lately. We just can’t seem to get along
- · I am the new student here at school and I am afraid I just won’t fit in
- · My grandfather passed away
- · Mommy just had a new baby
- · I do my homework, but I can’t seem to remember to bring it to school.
- · My friend has been acting strange.
- · Someone told me that if I didn’t give them my lunch money today, I’d be sorry!