One of Jacksonville’s oldest schools, Ruth N. Upson Elementary (formerly the Murray Hill School) resides just northwest of the Murray Hill Playground. Ruth N. Upson Elementary school opened its doors in 1916. The first principal, Ruth N. Upson began teaching here with 43 students and with two other teachers. After a neighborhood petition, the school was renamed Ruth N. Upson Elementary. Mrs. Upson retired in 1949 after 32 years as a principal. The school flourished to over 1,000 students during her administration. Ruth Upson passed away in 1968 but will forever be remembered as a heroine of our school.