Magnet applications were due to the School Choice office on February 28, 2019 for the 2019-2020 school year. Parents should have received acceptance notification from the Magnet/School Choice office by mid-April. You may also be assigned to the waiting list if you do not get accepted via the lottery. Typically we will not pull from the wait list until early August. Please call the front office if you have any questions. For all those who were accepted in this year's lottery, registration is on May 14th from 1pm - 6:30pm.
2020 -2021 RegistrationMagnet Lottery
All applications will be processed online. You can sign up for a OneView account by following the directions in this link: OneView. Once you set up an account, you will be able to access the magnet application via the link in Focus during the application period, January 1st through February 28th.
We will offer tours beginning in December through February for the following school year. Please call 992-3600 to set up a tour time or if you have any questions about the tours. Our school tours are adult only, no children or babies, as we go into working classrooms during the tours. Students in 1st grade through 5th grade must bring proof of lower elementary Montessori experience in the prior year to the tour in order to get credit for the tour. By touring our school, you receive an advantage in the lottery over those who choose not to tour.
In addition, the school will host an Open House in February. See the school calendar for date and time. This is a unique opportunity to see the Montessori method of teaching in operation at a Duval County public school. The Montessori method uses hands-on materials in a self-paced curriculum within a multi-age classroom. Classrooms will be open so that you may see students interacting with each other and their teachers. You do not need to sign up for an appointment and children are welcome this day.
- We do not have a first priority option for neighborhood prefernce because we do not have a current attendance area.
- The second priority of the lottery is neighborhood preference for students who live in the former attendance area of a dedicated magnet school.
- The third lottery priority is military dependent, for a student who has a parent on active duty. (Students must meet eligibility requirements when applicable, follow application procedures, live in Duval County and submit active duty orders and emergency data record.
- The fourth lottery priority is sibling preference for a student who has a brother or sister residing at the same address who attends a magnet program at the same school and is eligible to return next year. Siblings applying for the first time are not eligible to receive sibling preference. (Parents completing a blank application form must provide name and student ID# of sibling already attending the school
- The fifth lottery priority is elementary students whose neighborhood school is a Title 1 school and who apply to attend a magnet program in a non-Title 1 school.
- The sixth priority is for students whose parents who attend a tour or open house at the magnet school they are applying for in our attendance zones and have a signature.
- The seventh lottery priority is drawn from all students who apply to J. Allen Axson but who did not tour the school and do not have a signature.
- The lottery is drawn in April of each year for the following school year. The deadline for submitting Magnet applications is generally late February. Check here for more information: http://www.duvalschools.org/schoolchoice.