What is Early Admission?
Early admission at FSCJ is a dual enrollment program that allows students who meet specific criteria to enroll at FSCJ as full-time students during their senior year of high school. These students will simultaneously complete any remaining high school graduation requirements while also earning college credits. Students in this program complete their entire senior year at the FSCJ South campus and do not take any courses at the high school site. They are expected to take a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester, with a maximum allowable enrollment of 16 credit hours. Early Admission students may continue to participate in after-school extracurricular activities such as sports and clubs, but may not participate in programs such as AVID, which require participation in an on-campus class at Sandalwood. Students participating in early admission also will not be eligible for consideration as valedictorian or salutatorian of their graduating class.
This sounds like something I want to do. How do I become eligible?
For early admission, students must meet the following eligibility requirements by May 1st of their junior year of high school:
- Minimum 3.5 unweighted high school GPA.
- Enrolled in a DCPS high school by November 1st of their junior year, and has maintained continuous enrollment.
- If any FSCJ dual enrollment courses have been taken previously, a minimum 2.0 FSCJ GPA.
- Earned passing scores on state assessment in reading for high school graduation.
- Earned passing scores on state assessment in math for high school graduation.
- Earned college-ready test scores in reading, writing, and math on either PERT, ACT, or SAT. Please review the FSCJ dual enrollment eligibility requirements sheet for the current score requirements.
- Must be on track for graduation and remaining high school credits can be earned through FSCJ during the fall term. Applicant may not enroll in courses at the high school, DVIA, nor FLVS.
- Must complete the early admission checklist with counselor and parent, and submit a correctly completed FSCJ dual enrollment program application with parent/student contract of understanding to the student’s counselor by May 1st of their junior year.
Great, I’m eligible! Now what?
Students who meet eligibility requirements should schedule an appointment with their current school counselor prior to the program application deadline of May 1st. It is best if a parent can be in attendance; if not, they should be available to attend via phone, and paperwork will need to be sent home, signed, and returned to the counselor prior to the May 1st deadline. Students can schedule an appointment here.
Students will complete the “Early Admission School Checklist” with their counselor. All other forms should be completed by the student and parent. The forms you will need, and should bring to your appointment are as follows:
· FSCJ Student Alternative Course Registration Form (to be used in the event that any of your first-choice courses are full/closed and therefore unavailable)