SCHOOL SAFETY ASSISTANT
The School Safety Assistant (SSA) maintains calm, deters crime, and ensures the safety, security, and welfare of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors in the assigned school.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must possess a high school diploma (or equivalency)
- Some experience and/or training in a security related field or any equivalentcombination of education and experience is preferred
- Read, write, speak, and understand standard English
- Must have or be able to obtain a State of Florida (F.S.S. 790.06, Florida State Statutes) concealed weapons permit
- Have a valid State Issued Driver's license
Training shall at a minimum consist of:
- Must submit to and pass an initial drug test and subsequent random screenings
- Must pass a psychological evaluation
- 80 hours of firearms training
- 16 hours of instruction in precision pistol
- 8 hours of discretionary shooting instruction using approved simulator exercises
- 8 hours of instruction in defensive tactics
- 8 hours of instruction in active shooter or assailant scenarios
- 12 hours of instruction in legal issues
- Must successfully complete annual ongoing trainings, in weapons inspection and firearm qualifications
- Must complete at least 12 hours of a certified nationally recognized diversity training program
If you have additional questions about eligibility, contact Duval County School Police Recruiting Division at (904) 858-6109 or email Foster-LawrenceG@duvalschools.org. Ms. Foster is the initial contact in the Recruiting Division for all SSA Applicants.
Duval County Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital status or genetic information (and other protected classes included in the district’s Non-Discrimination Policy) in its educational programs, services or activities, or in its hiring or employment practices. The district also provides equal access to its facilities to the Boy Scouts and other patriotic youth groups, as required by the Boys Scout of America Equal Access Act.