Brentwood Elementary and North Shore Elementary merger scenario:
Here, you will find updates and information related to the Brentwood Elementary and North Shore Elementary merger scenario, including the agenda and meeting notes for each meeting. To obtain the minutes for each meeting, contact public records coordinator Tashonia Grant at PRR@duvalschools.org.
The Academic and Community Excellence (ACE) Working Group Meeting scheduled for Thursday, February 6, 2020 has been postponed because of expectations for very extreme weather impacting the Jacksonville area. Duval County Public Schools is canceling all after school activities, this includes community meetings.
The Duval County Public Schools will hold an Academic and Community Excellence (ACE) Working Group Meeting on February 6, 2020, at 6 p.m. the meeting will be held at Brentwood Elementary School, located at 3750 Springfield Blvd., Jacksonville, Florida, 32206
The Duval County Public Schools will hold an Academic and Community Excellence (ACE) Working Group Meeting on January 21, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. The meeting will be held at Brentwood Elementary, located at 3750 Springfield Blvd, Jacksonville, Florida, 32206
Academic and Community Excellence (ACE) Working Group Meeting held January 21, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. at Brentwood Elementary School of the Arts, located at 3750 Springfield Blvd., Jacksonville, FL 32206
2. Review ACE Working Group Process
3. ACE Working Group Roles & Responsibilities
4. Introduction of Working Group
5. Agenda Framework
6. Working Group Tasks & Next Steps
7. Current Recommendations
8. Principal Introductions
a. Principal Felicia Hardaway
b. Principal Jacqueline Jones
9. Working Group Meeting
a. Determining Roles & Responsibilities
b. Public Comments
i. 3 minutes per person
ii. 30 minutes total for public comments
c. New Business
d. Next Meeting Confirmation/Adjournment
Call to Order
Brentwood SoTA/North Shore Working Group Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m.
- Deanna Hanson cited concerns with ESE Services.
- Shalonda Jones questioned the use of funds to renovate facilities.
- Jeanette Ali would like for the Working Group to consider a name change for the school.
Areas of Concern
Paul Soares, Assistant Superintendent of Operations addressed Working Group questions.
- Current enrollment at North Shore is 58% of capacity.
- The optimum range for enrollment is 85 – 105% of capacity.
- Will there be crossing guards that support the bus stop at Brentwood? – Crossing guards are provided by the Jacksonville Sherriff’s Office
- Will there be supervision at the Brentwood bus stop? Per School Board Policy supervision at bus stops is the responsibility of parents.
- What is the transportation budget for the consolidation? $150,000.00/year
Laura Bowes, Executive Director of Staffing addressed this question. Brentwood Elementary School teachers would have Priority Placement in the transfer process.
- How many teachers will move from Brentwood to North Shore?
- Will there be incentives in place for teachers who move to North Shore?
Jennifer Lisella-Marcellus, Specialist shared with the group that there are 98 magnet students at Brentwood Elementary School of the Arts.
If the consolidated school has a sports theme, who will they play against?
- There are opportunities to play against PAL and TeamUP teams.
- Students already have access to sports from the Boys & Girls Club.
Maps were dispersed.
- Brentwood SoTA is 2.8 acres.
- The adjacent property is a City of Jacksonville park.
- One group member suggested that inter-governing relationships exist with the Mayor and City of Jacksonville.
A working group member spoke on behalf of the parents and students at North Shore. When North Shore Elementary School consolidated with Lake Forest Elementary School the students at North Shore were effected by changing teachers (sometimes more than once a year), due to fluctuations in enrollment.
If the school has an Arts theme, can materials from Brentwood be installed at North Shore? Will students have access to theme-specific resource classes?
Concern: The Team Up Program at North Shore Elementary School has a five month waiting list. Will services be expanded to accommodate additional students?
The next Working Group Meeting will take place at Brentwood Elementary School of the Arts on Thursday, Februrary 6, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:05 p.m.