May 19, 2021
May 19, 2021, Sales Surtax Oversight Committee Meeting
Committee Members Present: Hank Rogers, Nate Day, Kelly Pourciau, Diana Galavis, Linda Lanier, Delmas “Dedee” Harper, Monique Tookes, Brian Evans, Terrie Brady, Lawrence Dennis, David Hathaway, Joe Carlucci, George Barnes, and Alberta Hipps.
Stephanie Garry Garfunkel and Maurice Martinez joined by phone.
Duval Superintendent of Schools Dr. Diana Greene (non-voting) and District Student Government Association Representative Ja’kori Reed (non-voting)
Board Members: Vice Chairman Darryl Willie, Dr. Kelly Coker
Call Meeting to Order
Chairman Hank Rogers called the meeting to order at 1:03 p.m.
- APPROVAL OF COMMITTEE MEMBER VIA INTERACTICE VIDEO/TELEPHONE SYSTEMS
That the Sales Surtax Oversight Committee approve the participation of Committee Members Stephanie Garry Garfunkel and Maurice Martinez via interactive video and/or telephone systems.
Motion: Nate Day
Second: Monique Tookes
- APPROVAL OF THE MAY 19, 2021, AGENDA
That the Sales Surtax Oversight Committee approve the agenda for the May 19, 2021 meeting.
Motion: Dedee Harper
Second: Nate Day
There was no public comment.
Items to be Discussed
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES – April 21, 2021
That the Sales Surtax Oversight Committee approve the meeting minutes of April 21, 2021.
Motion: Terrie Brady
Second: Monique Tookes
- OPERATIONS UPDATE
Assistant Superintendent of Operations Paul Soares and Executive Director of Design and Construction Services Byron Page gave a PowerPoint presentation (see attached) on the Operations Update. Chief Financial Officer Michelle Begley provided financial updates.
At 1:33 p.m., Chair Rogers recognized the members on the phone to confirm that they were still on the line. Ms. Stephanie Garry Garfunkel responded, however, Mr. Maurice Martinez did not.
Discussion took place and topics discussed included:
- The contract for Jacobs Engineering is being funded by sales surtax money as that is an allowable expense. The firm will be funded each year as the District needs them but the goal is to hire directly and use Jacobs less and less.
- The Operations Division works closely with the Office of Economic Opportunity and Purchasing to properly vet minority small businesses to ensure they are legitimate.
- To date, for January and February, over $13 million dollars of sales surtax has been collected. In January, just under $6.7 million was collected, $922,000 to charter schools and in February, just under $6.8 million was collected, $933,000 to charter schools.
- As the data dashboard is updated, the website will be updated as well because they must be in sync.
- NEXT MEETING
The Committee made the decision to not meet in July and August and to re-convene in September with continuing communication in the interim. Motion was made by Alberta Hipps, seconded by Terrie Brady, and passed unanimously.
Currently, Board policy indicates that members cannot miss two consecutive meetings, however, that policy was created under the assumption that the Committee will meet quarterly and not monthly. Chair Rogers will work with the administration regarding the attendance policy and possible flexibility so that there is not a large turnover of members.
The next meeting is on Wednesday, June 16th 10:00am-12:00pm
That the Sales Surtax Oversight Committee moved to adjourn the meeting at 2:00 pm
Motion: Monique Tookes
Second: Dedee Harper
Minutes were taken by Katrin Perez Gonzalez, Administrative Assistant to the School Board
These minutes were approved at the June 16, 2021 Sales Surtax Oversight Committee Meeting.
******For attachments or presentations from the meetings, please email Ms. Kat Perez, Coordinator, Strategic Planning.